JOHN PAUL RUNYON, MD, FACC, FSCAI, FCCP
- Board-certified physician with expertise in cardiovascular medicine; significant background in clinical education and training of physicians. Vast network of peer relationships with key opinion leaders in cardiology and peripheral/endovascular medicine.
- Extensive research/clinical trial experience – study design, medical oversight, regulatory compliance, data interpretation and Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator on >300 pharmaceutical and medical device studies.
- Strong business aptitude; understand cost drivers and pricing. Proven ability to drive clinical excellence while aligning clinical and financial performance objectives. Consulting experience. Skilled in identifying opportunities for revenue enhancement, expense reduction, contract negotiations, and quality improvement.
- Effective combination of clinical leadership and operations management. Built, engaged and led multidisciplinary teams. Developed policies, clinical standards and protocols. Utilized data analytics to identify opportunities, improve quality of care and patient satisfaction.
Strategic Planning & Execution
Best Practices Identification/Sharing
Live Case Demonstrations
- Co-founded national meetings/organizations to educate practitioners on technology innovations and the most contemporary modalities available in the diagnosis, treatment and surveillance of peripheral vascular disease and peripheral artery disease.
- Latest Endovascular Atherectomy Devices (LEAD)
Multidisciplinary meeting for cardiology, radiology and vascular surgery fellows on the applications and techniques of use of multiple commercially available atherectomy devices. Meeting consists of didactic lectures and question and answer sessions.
- Horizons International Peripheral Group (HIPG)
Group is comprised of leading innovators, educators and advocates with expertise in diagnosis and treatment of PAD and PVD. Focus: Drive increased awareness, innovation, education and advocacy with government and healthcare organizations. Encourage a team approach to limb preservation, including the use of interventional and surgical technologies to prevent amputation, increase quality of life and improve patient outcomes.
- Below the Knee (BTK) Symposia
Developed and directed symposia to educate physicians in using the SilverHawk percutaneous device in performing atherectomy for treatment of PVD. BTK programs included lectures, panel discussions and live case demonstrations.
THE VASCULAR CENTER AT THE CHRIST HOSPITAL (TCH)
- Introduced multidisciplinary approach: vascular surgery, interventional radiology, interventional cardiology, podiatry, wound care and imaging. Physician collaboration resulted in improved clinical outcomes, cost savings and efficiency-based clinical practice and positioned TCH as an internationally recognized leader in cardiovascular care.
- Played key role in building cardiovascular program that was nationally recognized for excellence, ranking among the Top 50 Cardiovascular Centers in the United States, US News & World Report.
- Established and directed preceptorship programs that raised the bar for peripheral endovascular training by providing hands-on clinical experiences and live case broadcasts in addition to traditional lecture/educational meeting activities. Trained >650 physicians from 43 states and 5 countries.
- Established The Vascular Center at The Christ Hospital as one of the preeminent centers in the US for hands-on training in peripheral vascular procedures.
- Expanded organizational capacity; increased revenue while improving continuity of care:
- Established a Wound Care Center. Grew volume from start-up (0) to 600 patients/month.
- Created a Podiatry residency; improved patient service and increased TCH surgical volume.
- Initiated regional PVD meetings that increased awareness of PVD and treatment options.
- Formed a Stroke Prevention Team and a Carotid Stent Team.
- Elevated TCH vascular market share to 67%.
- Positioned The Vascular Center at TCH as one of the leading centers in the US for clinical trials in PVD.
- Drove down costs while preserving quality by implementing percentage volume contracts. Secured best tier pricing regardless of volume. In addition to allowing for consignment of products (increasing physician familiarity with products), new contracts ensured best pricing and increased inventory efficiency.
- Led and managed change initiatives that affected all areas of the practice, from clinical operations to marketing. Led seamless transitions through two name changes: The Ohio Heart and Health Center to The Ohio Heart and Vascular Center, The Christ Hospital Heart Center to The Christ Hospital Heart and Vascular Center.
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI / HOSPITAL
- Established the first Heart ER in the US to perform stress testing and consultation 24 hours a day.
- Developed and directed ACGME-accredited Peripheral Fellowship Training Program.
- Key contributor on team that earned national recognition when UC Hospital achieved ranking in US News & World Report’s Top 50 Cardiovascular Centers in the US. (Served as Director in both CCU and Cath Lab during this period.)
- Reduced costs while maintaining quality by introducing percentage volume contracts. Committed 85% of purchases to selected vendor to secure top tier pricing, regardless of volume. Increased physician familiarity with new products by including consignment options.
- Partnered with multiple business units, architects and suppliers in designing the hospital’s new CCU and Step-Down Unit.
|Licensure||MD, State Medical Board of Ohio|
|Cardiovascular Disease, National Board of Physicians and Surgeons (NBPAS) Interventional Cardiology, American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM)
Cardiovascular Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Fellow, American College of Cardiology
Fellow, The Society for Cardiovascular Angiography & Interventions
Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
|1988 – 1989||Interventional Fellow, Cardiology Chief Fellow, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH|
|1986 – 1988||Clinical Fellow, Cardiology, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH|
|1984 – 1986||Resident, Internal Medical Center, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH|
|1983||Intern, Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH|
|1979 – 1983||Doctor of Medicine, Cum Laude, University of Kentucky School of Medicine, Lexington, KY|
|1975 – 1979||Bachelor of Arts, Summa Cum Laude Transylvania University, Lexington, KY – Science Honorary, A.J. Whitehouse Premedical Award|
|2013 – Present||ONE-SOURCE CLINICAL SOLUTIONS, Carmel, IN
Co-Founder & Chief Medical Officer – Involved in strategic development, staff education, clinical trial management and sector evaluation – CRM, neurostimulation, PEVAR, TAVR, atrial appendage therapy. Oversee daily operations, including billing/coding and regulatory compliance. Physician liaison with major device manufacturers and consultant network.
|2013 – Present||NUVU CARDIOVASCULAR CONSULTING, Phoenix, AZ
Consultant – Provided practice analysis with focus on increasing volume, market share and margin through referrals, improved marketing, accurate billing and coding, and skillful contract negotiations.
Medical Science Liaison – Leveraged physician KOL network to facilitate relationships with Avinger. Educated physicians regarding Avinger products. Aided with clinical trial development/execution and development of medical devices. Scrubbed in and worked directly on cases with physicians.
Positioned Avinger as a key physician resource by providing guidance regarding costs, charges, coding and reimbursement and shared expert knowledge on how to develop a successful vascular center.
Worked on the VISION IDE trial, a multi-center, non- randomized global study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Pantheris, the first-ever image-guided atherectomy device.
|1997 – 2012||THE CHRIST HOSPITAL (TCH), Cincinnati, OH
Cardiovascular Specialist – Chaired Peripheral Intervention Peer Review Committee, Peripheral Vascular Disease Section, Peripheral Vascular Disease Task Force. Served on Peripheral Vascular Disease Task Force, Billing & Coding Committee-Ohio Heart & Vascular Center.
|2005 – 2012||THE VASCULAR CENTER AT THE CHRIST HOSPITAL
Director – In addition to clinical responsibilities, developed budgets, controlled expenses, established prices. Negotiated contracts for peripheral vascular disposables. Developed policies and procedures that ensured the practice was operated with optimal efficiency.
Director, Peripheral Vascular Interventional Fellowship Program, 2003-2010
|1997 – 2012||OHIO HEART & VASCULAR CENTER (formerly Ohio Heart & Health Center)
Director, Peripheral Program – Played key role in successful transition when the practice became an affiliate of TCH in 2008.
|1989 – 2000||UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI HOSPITAL, Cincinnati, OH
Cardiovascular Specialist, 1989-1997
Director, Coronary Care Unit, 1989-1995
Cardiologist, Cardiac Transplant Program, 1989-2000
Director, Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, 1992-2000
Director, Coronary & Peripheral Intervention, 1994-2000
Director, Coronary & Peripheral Vascular Interventional Fellowship Program, 1997-2000
Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, 1989-1994
Cardiovascular Working Group, IAMETER
Cardiovascular Service Line
The Alliance Cardiovascular Benchmarking Team
Management Engineering Committee
Cardiac Transplant Recipient Selection Committee
Quality Assurance Committee
Cardiovascular Benchmarking Committee
Special Care Unit Committee
Interventional Cardiology Utilization CQI Committee, Team Leader
Alliance Cardiology Team
Alliance Cardiovascular Purchasing Committee
Resident I Interviewing Committee, Department of Internal Medicine
Medical Arts Building Committee for Cardiac Arrest
Design Committee, Coronary Care Unit
|Abbott Vascular Devices
Cardiovascular Systems Inc
Cordis/Johnson & Johnson
|W.L. Gore & Associates
|American College of Cardiology (Fellow)
The Society for Cardiovascular Angiography & Interventions (Fellow)
American College of Chest Physicians (Fellow)
Society of Vascular Medicine
International Society of Endovascular Specialists
American Heart Association
American College of Physicians
|American Medical Association
Ohio State Medical Association
Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati
American Society for Echocardiography
Society of Critical Care Medicine
International Society of Transplant Physicians
A CV containing detailed listing of clinical research trials, presentations and publications available upon request.